Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

Poisonous Plants for Dogs

Along with various foods and chemicals, there are also a variety of plants that are poisonous to dogs as well. Our vets in New Ulm talk about which plants are poisonous for dogs, what the symptoms of poisoning are, when to be concerned, and how they can be treated.

What types of plants are poisonous to my dog?

There are many plants that can make your dog sick and can be potentially deadly for your pup, which is why you should always keep them from chewing any plants or vegetation outside or in your yard because what can be safe and beautiful for you can be toxic for your canine companion.

Below our veterinarians have listed some of the plants you should keep away from your dog at all cost and if your pooch does encounter any one of these items bring your dog to our veterinary center in New Ulm:

Sago Palm

Every part of this plant is poisonous to dogs but, what makes this plant even more dangerous is that dogs like the smell of this plant and can enjoy eating them. If your pooch ingests this plant it can cause liver failure and potentially death.


This is a beautiful plant however, it can have a severe impact on your dog's health causing rapid or weak pulse, difficulty breathing, diarrhea, nausea, and even death.


Mistletoe is very beautiful and can be found in many homes during the winter holidays, however, if you have a dog please skip this holiday condition at all costs. If your pup accidentally eats one or two of its berries it can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and drolling. In the event, your canine companion eats a larger quantity of this plant it can cause collapse, seizures, abnormal heart rate, low blood pressure, and in more serious cases death. 


This is a lovely and common ornamental shrub, especially in coastal and drier regions of the states. This flower contains many toxins throughout the whole plant including cardiac glycosides, nerioside, oleandroside, and saponins. If your pooch ingests any parts of the plant it can cause diarrhea ( which may contain blood), vomiting, hypotension, incoordination, breathing difficulties,  hypersalivation, comma, and possibly sudden death.


Another common plant found in gardens that, can have serious effects on your dog however, the severity of the symptoms can vary based on the amount your pup has consumed. These symptoms can include tremors, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, heart failure, and death.

Autumn Crocus

You have to be very careful with this plant because it has a non-toxic twin of no relation called 'spring crocus'. The autumn crocus has many dangerous effects and almost every part of this plant is toxic. Its symptoms don't always show up immediately and can take several days to appear which can include diarrhea and vomiting (both can contain blood), bone marrow suppression, kidney and liver damage, seizures, shock, respiratory failure, and possibly death. Because it can take days for these symptoms to show you may not know the cause of your dog's illness. Always keep your dog close by and on a leash if you are in a yard or garden when these plants are present.

Rhododendron / Azalea

There are many varieties of this plant that can be found all across North America however if you have a dog DO NOT plant this lovely flower in your garden because every part of this plant is deadly and can make your dog extremely sick. Some of it's symptoms are hypertension, muscle weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, increased drooling, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, central nervous system depression, coma, cardiovascular collapse, and death. 


Tulips are probably one of the most popular spring flowers you see planted in gardens at home and in public parks however if you are a dog owner we highly suggest keeping this plant out of your yard. The petals on this plant can upset your pup's stomach and the bulb itself that you plant in the ground is even more toxic which can cause an upset stomach, loss of appetite, and depression. 

Some other plants that are poisonous or toxic to dogs are:

  • Allium
  • Japanese Yew
  • Holly
  • Perrywinkle/ Vinca
  • Perrenial Pea or Sweet Pea
  • Water Hemlock/ Cowbane/Poison Parsnip 
  • Castor Bean / Castor Oil Plant
  • Maleberry / Staggerbush
  • Marijuana
  • Tabacco
  • Rhubarb
  • Ivy
  • Mushrooms (ones that you don't think are safe)

We have only listed a handful of plants that can be poisonous to dogs and therefore there are many toxic greens out there. Please call our 24-hour vets in Connecticut if you believe your dog was in contact or ate a plant you believe may be dangerous.

Symptoms of poisoning from plants

This list contains the plants that you are most likely to come into contact with but there are so many more in this world that are not listed here. It is incredibly important that you know the signs to look for in order to react quickly to any poisoning that may occur. We understand it can be hard to determine which plants are safe or dangerous, that's why we have listed the most common symptoms below:

  • Drooling
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Changes in Urine
  • Skin irritation ( if they touched some dangerous plants)

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog contact an emergency hospital or veterinarian immediately as poisoning is serious and these symptoms are also symptoms of other possible conditions. The sooner you call your vet the sooner your dog can be diagnosed and treated.

How to treat dogs that have been poisoned

It will help if you bring a photo of the plant that your dog ingested as well as a list of symptoms that you noticed to your vet or emergency hospital in New Ulm.

The treatment your vet provides for your dog will depend on the plant they were exposed to or have ingested because all toxins are different. However, treatments your vet could implement include:

  • Antitdoes (if one is available for the specific plant)
  • Stomach pumping
  • Induced vomiting

You should never induce vomiting in dogs unless specifically instructed by your vet. Always call your vet as soon as you suspect your dog has been in contact with a toxic plant, your veterinarian will provide you with instructions on what you should do to help your pet during this emergency while you bring your pet to the hospital. 

If you believe your beloved dog has ingested a poisonous plant and may be experiencing an emergency please visit our veterinary center in New Ulm as soon as possible. You can also contact our vets with any questions you have about the poisonous plants in your area.

 Welcoming New Ulm Animals to our Animal Hospital

We are happy to welcome pets and livestock to our family! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of your companion pets and large animals. Get in touch today.

Contact Us

Book Online (507) 233-2500